For the most part, HAMKit example code is based on using the standard Raspbian Desktop image which you can download for free and easily copy to your microSD card, using a PC computer program such as imageUSB , Win32 Disk Imager or Etcher.
Raspbian Stretch with Desktop
- This is a version of Debian Linux, complete with graphical desktop (GUI)
- Easier for beginners to navigate
- Uses more Raspberry Pi’s resources
- More software applications
- Python and Thonny IDE preinstalled
Raspbian Stretch Lite
- This is a version of Debian Linux, with no graphical desktop (GUI) and is command line driven
- Lite is a minimal version of the Raspbian image for the Raspberry Pi
- X-server, and its components, are not installed
- Less software installed and fewer modules will load with the kernel
- Operating system using a lot less of the Raspberry Pi’s resources
- Uses less power (current consumption)
- Perform a little faster for very specific tasks
- Ideal where you need a Pi and never need to use a monitor
Raspberry Pi Desktop (PC/Mac)
Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop is the Foundation’s operating system for PC and Mac. You can create a live disc, run it in a virtual machine, or even install it on your computer.
This is an operating system installer and if you download this image, it will allow you to install Raspbian, and a number of different images. It is also the default image that is installed on most Raspberry microSD cards.